Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
camarorat

can I use a 4 channel rear

I have 02 camaro that has a 3 channel rear. Can I use a 4 channel rear in it if I change over all of the parts from my 3 channel or should I just find a 3 channel
camarorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
ins0mnia24

Depends what is wrong with your existing rear if you use the 4 channel rear end then you would have to drill a hole on top of the pumpkin for the Abs sensor.
Because a 3 channel only has 1 Abs sensor and a 4 channel set-up has 2 Abs sensors one on the end of each axle.
You can use the 4 channel axles and everything else inside of the rear end on your current rear without doing any modifications though.
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
camarorat

Thanks for info. I am interested in just changing out the entire assembly for a different gear ratio. I have 273s and would like to go to 342s. Someday I plan to go to a 12 bolt with 373 but right now I can't afford it, so I figured if I could get a good assembly for 3-400 at least I could take advantage of the bolt on mods I have done (headers, catted Y, CAt back, Ported Polished TB, Ram Air System, and PCM tune). the car ran great, but I just installed LCA, Adj Panhard, and SFCs, along with Nitto 285-18 on the back. It hooks so good that with the 273 gears it feels sluggish. Prior to the suspension upgrades it would spin the tires like crazy; now it just plants. I don't know if the car is faster now or slower but it feels slower. It's probably a little quicker but the perception is that it slower. Anyway, I think a gear change would really wake the car up.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
ins0mnia24

If you are looking for a rear end just to save on gear install costs and ect..
I would call Contemporary Corvette in Bristol P.A. besides being a Corvette salvage yard they also do all 4th gen F-bodies and GTO salavge they have a website too..
They sell on Ebay under the name Fparts.
They usually sell 10-bolts for $250-$350 and give up to a 60-90 day warranty if I remember correctly..
So I would call them up because they probably already have a 3 channel set-up from a 6-speed car with 3:42 gears..

The problem with the auto cars is the lack of having a lower gear ratio in the rear end..
The other problem is the extensive amount of torque management Gm placed into the PCM's programming to protect the transmission..
Do the gears and see if you can get a bolt-on tune since you would have to correct your speedometer for the gear change have them delete your Torque management..
Then your car will act like a total different beast..
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i've dealt with fparts. they are awesome. they delivered right to my door, the next day! sooo siiick!

Quote:
(headers, catted Y, CAt back, Ported Polished TB, Ram Air System, and PCM tune)
ya he already has a tune for the bolt on's, but will need another for the gear change! could probably get the shifts firmed up too if you didn't already...would a stall help in this situation?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
camarorat

Thanks again. I e-mailed them last night. I will give them a call Monday. Ref Tune I had PCM for less tune my PCM, and you are correct the car ran, and still does run like a beast. Like I said after the bolt ons and the PCM tune the car would break the tires loose to the point that it was scarry to drive because when you mashed it the wheels would break loose unexpetedly. I always drove Hi Perf stick cars, this is my 1st auto so I am use to knowing exactly when the cars is going to shift. So 1st I got new rims and the wider, stickier tires and that helped a little, but not much. then I installed panhard bar, LCA, and SFCs. now it sticks real nice, but I dont think there is enough gear, the RPMs don't stay in the sweet spot. I kinda had the same expeience with my 69. It ran 12.42 @118 MPH in the 1/4 with 26" tall street tires witht 3.73 gear, but it spun most of the way down the track 2.5 60 ft time. I tried 28 inch drag radials and the car ran slower because it bogged the engine at the start line (It ran basically the same time but a couple mph slower through the traps, but it did have a better 60 time; got it just below 2 which still isn't great). Anyway someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse so it's sold, and I bought this just to play around with and I really love the car. I also have a work in progress 69 L78 car so I still have a 69.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins0mnia24 View Post
Depends what is wrong with your existing rear if you use the 4 channel rear end then you would have to drill a hole on top of the pumpkin for the Abs sensor.
Because a 3 channel only has 1 Abs sensor and a 4 channel set-up has 2 Abs sensors one on the end of each axle.
You can use the 4 channel axles and everything else inside of the rear end on your current rear without doing any modifications though.
Even if you put the ABS sensor at the top of the pumpkin you would still not have the reluctor ring at the top of the ring gear.

I say go for a junkyard rear that is right for your application.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
alamantia

i did it, but i have a milling machine
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
alamantia

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617761
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline