PDA

View Full Version : LS1 cooling system

LS1Hawk
06-10-2007, 04:41 PM
My car is 5 years old now and the manual says the coolant should be changed every 5 years or 150,000 miles whichever comes first. Is that gospel, or could I let go a little a longer? My car has 32,000 miles on it right now.

V
06-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Id say do it. it cant hurt, ive seen on ls1tech the guys say its good if maintained properly. my car had 64k, and i had to change it when i did the new motor. It was horrible looking. i cant stand dex-cool. i drained everything except the heater core and put it the prestone green "any make any color" stuff.

LS1Hawk
06-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Id say do it. it cant hurt, ive seen on ls1tech the guys say its good if maintained properly. my car had 64k, and i had to change it when i did the new motor. It was horrible looking. i cant stand dex-cool. i drained everything except the heater core and put it the prestone green "any make any color" stuff.

How did it go when you backflushed it? Is there a good kit for the LS1 or will any do?

V
06-10-2007, 09:47 PM
i didnt have to really flush anything in my case. im not sure how others do it, im sure they explain it on ls1tech, i just hate that site because everyone thinks they know better.

I had a new brand motor, all new hoses and i flushed the rad with a hose while it was out of the car. once everything was dry again and clean, then it got reinstalled. I even removed and flushed my overflow tank and got a ton of sludge junk out of it. Also when i filled it, i did an exact 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.

LS1Hawk
06-11-2007, 06:58 AM
I have the service manual...it gives the steps for draining the system, but when it comes to flushing it just says to buy a kit and follow its instructions...so I'm guessing it's just like any other motor.

WildBillyT
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
If you have Dex-Cool and it has even a hint of brown in it, flush it now and replace it with Peak Global.

In my GTP I had 'jerky' build up from dex cool- and by that I mean I had congealed pieces of dex cool in my system that came out like strips of beef jerky.

LS1Hawk
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I had gunk like that in my '97 Sunfire. I never buy Dex-Cool, just something that says it meets spec of GM engines with Dex-Cool.

BonzoHansen
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
When i fill systems, i mix a/f with distilled water - supposed to be better then tap water (minerals and such , IIRC)

qwikz28
06-11-2007, 05:10 PM
When i fill systems, i mix a/f with distilled water - supposed to be better then tap mater (minerals and such , IIRC)

less corosive as well... i did mine around 40k to be on the safe side. i'm gonna have to do it again since my radiator is out and i will be using prestone green again