Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 06-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
LS1Hawk

LS1 cooling system

My car is 5 years old now and the manual says the coolant should be changed every 5 years or 150,000 miles whichever comes first. Is that gospel, or could I let go a little a longer? My car has 32,000 miles on it right now.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
V
Stalker

Id say do it. it cant hurt, ive seen on ls1tech the guys say its good if maintained properly. my car had 64k, and i had to change it when i did the new motor. It was horrible looking. i cant stand dex-cool. i drained everything except the heater core and put it the prestone green "any make any color" stuff.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
Id say do it. it cant hurt, ive seen on ls1tech the guys say its good if maintained properly. my car had 64k, and i had to change it when i did the new motor. It was horrible looking. i cant stand dex-cool. i drained everything except the heater core and put it the prestone green "any make any color" stuff.
How did it go when you backflushed it? Is there a good kit for the LS1 or will any do?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
V
Stalker

i didnt have to really flush anything in my case. im not sure how others do it, im sure they explain it on ls1tech, i just hate that site because everyone thinks they know better.

I had a new brand motor, all new hoses and i flushed the rad with a hose while it was out of the car. once everything was dry again and clean, then it got reinstalled. I even removed and flushed my overflow tank and got a ton of sludge junk out of it. Also when i filled it, i did an exact 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
LS1Hawk

I have the service manual...it gives the steps for draining the system, but when it comes to flushing it just says to buy a kit and follow its instructions...so I'm guessing it's just like any other motor.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

If you have Dex-Cool and it has even a hint of brown in it, flush it now and replace it with Peak Global.

In my GTP I had 'jerky' build up from dex cool- and by that I mean I had congealed pieces of dex cool in my system that came out like strips of beef jerky.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
LS1Hawk

Yeah, I had gunk like that in my '97 Sunfire. I never buy Dex-Cool, just something that says it meets spec of GM engines with Dex-Cool.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

When i fill systems, i mix a/f with distilled water - supposed to be better then tap water (minerals and such , IIRC)

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 06-11-2007 at 06:54 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
When i fill systems, i mix a/f with distilled water - supposed to be better then tap mater (minerals and such , IIRC)
less corosive as well... i did mine around 40k to be on the safe side. i'm gonna have to do it again since my radiator is out and i will be using prestone green again
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech