PDA

View Full Version : 10.0 and 12.0 Index Racing

NJSPEEDER
03-22-2009, 08:16 PM
We are bringing two of the most popular points classes in the Northeast to the 2009 East Coast F-Body nationals!!!

General Rules for Both Index Classes:
Technical Inspection: All vehicles in competition must pass an NHRA technical inspection for the E.T. and M.P.H. they run
Staging: All racers are asked to use courtesy staging. Anyone wishing to deep stage may do so, but the courtesy time provided to get properly deep staged will be up to their opponent.

12.0 Index Rules:
General: Foot brake only, .500 pro tree, must pass NHRA safety tech inspection to compete.
Engine: Anything
Exhaust: All exhaust gases MUST be routed through muffler(s)
Power Adder: Anything
Transmission: Automotive type automatic or H-pattern manual transmission allowed. No clutchless, planetary, or transbrake equipped allowed
Tires: Anything
Body: Must resemble Camaro or Firebird. Aftermarket panels allowed
Electronics: ET prediction and drivers aids prohibited. No delay boxes, throttle stops, transbrakes, or similar electronic bracket/ET prediction equipment allowed.

10.0 Index Rules:
General: Transbrake or foot brake allowed, .500 pro tree, must pass NHRA safety tech inspection to compete.
Engine: Anything
Exhaust: Muffled or open exhaust acceptable
Power Adder: Anything
Transmission: Automotive type automatic or H-pattern manual transmission allowed. No clutchless or planetary type transmissions allowed. Transbrake OK
Tires: Anything
Body: Must resemble Camaro or Firebird. Aftermarket panels allowed
Electronics: ET prediction and drivers aids prohibited. No delay boxes, throttle stops, or similar electronic bracket/ET prediction equipment allowed.

[I][B]Prize Fund:
Winner: Starting at $75 + Trophy
Runner-up: Starting at $25 + Trophy

vegaken
03-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Cool deal with these classes. The only thing is that most of them run on a .500 pro tree. Just thought you might want to stay consistent with all the other tracks in the area. Either way it would be a fun day. As long as the car is together i am in.

Ken

NJSPEEDER
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Ken. Rules updated!!!!

mc73nova
03-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I need to get an F-body ready. I dont normally run index classes but I love hitting the pro tree Friday nights at Island.

NJSPEEDER
03-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I will be putting up the bracket class rules tonight :)

LTb1ow
03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
For the 12 index, does that mean no cutouts?

NJSPEEDER
03-24-2009, 05:49 PM
That is correct sir, 12.0 is a muffled class.

LTb1ow
03-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Does a borlamouth count?

NJSPEEDER
03-24-2009, 07:09 PM
As long as it has a "muffler" it counts

LTb1ow
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Ok... so do dumps count?

NJSPEEDER
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
as long as there is a muffler before them

kazman
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
12.0 index is deep staging allowed? How about a trans brakes? Breakouts allow... on a double breakout do both loose or the least offender wins.

NJSPEEDER
03-26-2009, 04:36 PM
12.0 index is deep staging allowed? How about a trans brakes? Breakouts allow... on a double breakout do both loose or the least offender wins.

Deep Staging: Good Question, Feedback Everyone?

Transbrakes: Not allowed in 12.0

Double Break-Out: Worst goes home, opponent stays in

camaroAL
03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
u should run deep staging like the tracks do. if u wanna deep stage u can but its not acknowledged, so get in and if ur not in they aint waiting

NJSPEEDER
03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Basically, leave it up to the opponent to be courteous enough to allow the person to get in deep?

camaroAL
03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Basically, leave it up to the opponent to be courteous enough to allow the person to get in deep?

exactly!!

kazman
03-26-2009, 07:50 PM
IMO in a 12.0 index on a pro .500 tree to cut a light you either have to deep stage and footbreak or go shallow off the trans brake. You might want to allow and honor deep for when both cars want to go deep. Sorry I won't be able to make this one. I have a points race on the same day. Also I deep stage and don't have a problem going deep with the autostart on and deep not being honored.

LS1 4Good
03-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Could somebody explain deep staging to me? I've never understood it.

01blackz28
03-28-2009, 06:23 AM
when you stage you first the top light lights up, you inch up to the 2nd beam that goes, then if you inch even further the bottom light is just lit up. This can provide better reaction times for most. i dont think it should be allowed

kazman
03-28-2009, 07:51 AM
when you stage you first the top light lights up, you inch up to the 2nd beam that goes, then if you inch even further the bottom light is just lit up. This can provide better reaction times for most. i dont think it should be allowed

You put on the pre-stage bulb, move forward and put on the stage bulb, then move even further to put out the pre-stage bulb. Ballpark it quickens you RT by .10, and slows your 60' and ET by .10. Deepstaging reduces the rollout. In the 12.0 class on a .500 pro tree, reaction times are going to suck if everyone has to footbrake shallow. If you forbid deep staging and trans brakes how will you deal with the savy racers who will go shallow then take a BIG bump? If you do allow deep then you will have to decide honored or not. Honored the deep stager puts "DEEP" on the car and the starter holds the tree. Not honored no "DEEP" on the car and the deep stager is on their own. Personally I love to race deep staged where it's allowed but not honored. IMO for this event I think you should allow and honor deep staging. Not everyone has a trans brake so I can see not allowing that.

NJSPEEDER
03-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Anyone else care to weigh in on the deep staging issue before we make a final decision?

vegaken
03-30-2009, 10:57 PM
I say make sure you get it in the beams in time. If you want to go deep that is your decision but don't hold anyone up. Courtesy staging should be in effect where both guys have to pre-stage before staging. After that what ever happens, happens.

bubba428
03-31-2009, 03:55 AM
i feel so left out this year.......lol V6 class? (joke)

Tru2Chevy
03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
i feel so left out this year.......lol V6 class? (joke)

Run your v6 in one of the bracket classes....

- Justin

camaroAL
04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I say make sure you get it in the beams in time. If you want to go deep that is your decision but don't hold anyone up. Courtesy staging should be in effect where both guys have to pre-stage before staging. After that what ever happens, happens.

+1 :rock:

NJSPEEDER
04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
OK, so the official ruling is that deep staging is allowed, but it is up to the drivers to allow the courtesy so that someone can get in deep if they want.

Thanks for the feedback everybody!!!

NastyEllEssWon
04-09-2009, 05:15 PM
does my line lock disqualify me from the 12.0 bracket?

NJSPEEDER
04-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Nope, line lock is for burn outs, not a bracket racing aid. Perfectly acceptable.

NastyEllEssWon
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
yay

Pampered-Z
04-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I think you have to allow deep staging for a pro tree/index, that's a real part of the class.

because there is a good chance we will have racers new to this class, I have a question and a few suggestions:

Q) Is autostart going to be used? or should it? We need to know this from the track. Some tracks manually throw the switch when running index where allot of the racers go deep, other just use Autostart. Autostart may determine how you want to proceed with staging? We need to let the racers know if they need to get in quickly or if the starter is going to give them time?

Sug 1) Enforce gentalmen racing:

Both cars set prestage bulb before moving in, no quick staging. Often the rules is that if someone double bulbs and they don't back out, they GET backed out. And that is their ONE warning. Do it again it's a DQ.

If you know the other car is going deep then you can DB and activate autostart, you could end with drivers wondering why the tree dropped or they got red lighted before they were staged?

sug 2) If cars are going deep, they should write it on the cars. I know this goes again Div I rules, but we are probably going to have some less experienced racer.

My suggestions are because you don't want racers sitting on the convertor while the other car stages or getting timed out or caught between going deep when the tree drops. Knowing the other car is going in deep will let drivers know if they need to wait to go up on the covertor or to get in quick. We don't want cars puking their trans because they overheated waiting for the other car. This is why Div I did away with DEEP, because racers could use that to hold I guy on the trans, but for this event I think it could actually be an aid to the new racers in this class and type of staging.

My .02

JB

kazman
04-16-2009, 09:47 AM
I think you have to allow deep staging for a pro tree/index, that's a real part of the class.

because there is a good chance we will have racers new to this class, I have a question and a few suggestions:

Q) Is autostart going to be used? or should it? We need to know this from the track. Some tracks manually throw the switch when running index where allot of the racers go deep, other just use Autostart. Autostart may determine how you want to proceed with staging? We need to let the racers know if they need to get in quickly or if the starter is going to give them time?

Sug 1) Enforce gentalmen racing:

Both cars set prestage bulb before moving in, no quick staging. Often the rules is that if someone double bulbs and they don't back out, they GET backed out. And that is their ONE warning. Do it again it's a DQ.

If you know the other car is going deep then you can DB and activate autostart, you could end with drivers wondering why the tree dropped or they got red lighted before they were staged?

sug 2) If cars are going deep, they should write it on the cars. I know this goes again Div I rules, but we are probably going to have some less experienced racer.

My suggestions are because you don't want racers sitting on the convertor while the other car stages or getting timed out or caught between going deep when the tree drops. Knowing the other car is going in deep will let drivers know if they need to wait to go up on the covertor or to get in quick. We don't want cars puking their trans because they overheated waiting for the other car. This is why Div I did away with DEEP, because racers could use that to hold I guy on the trans, but for this event I think it could actually be an aid to the new racers in this class and type of staging.

My .02

JB

It might be a good idea to have a pre-race drivers meeting and explaing the staging and how the tree works. Explain auto start and explain exactly what is meant by gentlemen racing. New drivers will DB and don't know they did something wrong.

John, I deep stage and could retire if I got a dollar everytime I was quick treeed.

Tru2Chevy
04-17-2009, 03:43 PM
The pre-race driver's meeting does sound like a good idea. Should benefit everyone, new or experienced.

- Justin

Pampered-Z
04-20-2009, 09:49 AM
It might be a good idea to have a pre-race drivers meeting and explaing the staging and how the tree works. Explain auto start and explain exactly what is meant by gentlemen racing. New drivers will DB and don't know they did something wrong.

John, I deep stage and could retire if I got a dollar everytime I was quick treeed.

I know, same thing if they flicker the bulb and they don't backed (or get backed ) all the way out you can get timed out. Which is why I'm suggesting writing DEEP on the cars, let the starter hold the tree.

JSPERFORMANCE
07-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I guess I will run the 10.0 index since there is no Heads Up class..

mc73nova
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Can I put an NJFBOA decal on my car so I can participate!

kazman
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
12.0 index question. Are you allowing a car with a transbrake to run if they remove the switch from the car? It's pretty easy to spot when I leave off the button.

Mike
07-24-2009, 03:14 PM
12.0 index question. Are you allowing a car with a transbrake to run if they remove the switch from the car? It's pretty easy to spot when I leave off the button.

i would guess yes. Justin's on vacation and Tim is mia again so it might take a little while to get a definite answer. but as someone planning on running the class, i wouldn't have a problem with it as long as its not used.

Tru2Chevy
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM

i would guess yes. Justin's on vacation and Tim is mia again so it might take a little while to get a definite answer. but as someone planning on running the class, i wouldn't have a problem with it as long as its not used.

Yes, having the t-brake installed in the car is fine, as long as the switch is removed.

- Justin

Pampered-Z
07-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Yes, having the t-brake installed in the car is fine, as long as the switch is removed.

- Justin

I've seen people hide the switch in the horn. I say make them remove the switch and the steering wheel! :moon:

Kazman, do you know who I mean? I'm sure Melissa does.

kazman
07-31-2009, 08:29 AM
I've seen people hide the switch in the horn. I say make them remove the switch and the steering wheel! :moon:

Kazman, do you know who I mean? I'm sure Melissa does.

A well know racer got caught 2-3 years ago at Cecil. I guess you will make me pull the shifter handle off. I have a button there too. Off topic but I have been getting funny looks with the Mustang. I'm sure if I had the car out more I would get searched for a box. I'm shallow staging and going off the second amber from idle. Stock converter takes forever to flash. I hit my spot on the tree and there a .500 delay from when the car moves. I'm ready to demonstrate this next Friday night. Sadely I don't think I'll have the Formula ready for the Sunday event.

GOLDENZ
08-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Any limits on rear susp.

Tru2Chevy
08-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Any limits on rear susp.

Nope, not in the index classes.

- Justin

GOLDENZ
08-08-2009, 10:31 AM
thank you is there any qualifing or an all run field

79CamaroDiva
08-08-2009, 12:24 PM
It'll be all run, qualifying for bye run if there is one.

Since I don't run index classes, some who do can chime in. Do you generally qualify based on r/t or based on who ran closest to the index?

Next, at Island we use auto start in all classes. It was on last night for fbody vs. mustang and there were no problems at all. Autostart takes away the ability to blame the starter for quick treeing or "holding" the tree too long. If you want to go deep, do it first.

JSPERFORMANCE
08-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Closest to index without going under.. In an all run anyone who goes under goes to the back of the field.. Qualifing order dictates lane choice throughout the day..

JSPERFORMANCE
08-08-2009, 12:30 PM
And black 88 IROCs with silver ground effects get free ride to finals..

BonzoHansen
08-08-2009, 12:37 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo

kazman
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
... at Island we use auto start in all classes. It was on last night for fbody vs. mustang and there were no problems at all. Autostart takes away the ability to blame the starter for quick treeing or "holding" the tree too long. If you want to go deep, do it first.

I didn't even realize autostart was on Friday night. I guess I should of paid more attention.

79CamaroDiva
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
And black 88 IROCs with silver ground effects get free ride to finals..

"would you like this to be your final or a timeshot?" :lol:

I didn't even realize autostart was on Friday night. I guess I should of paid more attention.

if it's set up properly there's no noticeable difference. Other than taking any possible blame from the starter. There's still a variable time in place so you can't predict the countdown

kazman
08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
if it's set up properly there's no noticeable difference. Other than taking any possible blame from the starter. There's still a variable time in place so you can't predict the countdown

Big difference if your a deep stager. 3 bulbs on the shallow stager has 10 seconds to put the staged light on. 3 bulbs on the deep stager has 10 seconds to put the staged light on and then about 2 seconds to finish deep staging. I prefer to deep stage and don't have any issues with deep staging last and going out first even with autostart. The Mustang isn't fast enought to deep stage so I worked it out to go shallow.

79CamaroDiva
08-10-2009, 04:30 PM
I can see it being a big difference to deep stage. We have been running auto start in all classes on Saturdays and haven't had any issues though. Still lots of deep stagers, but super is blue lighted so I don't worry bout it ;-)