Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-19-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
BlueFBird

replacing fuel pump

ne1 kno wut a garage might charge to replace fuel pump?..

my camaro wont start up an i think its because of my fuel pump it cranks but doesnt turn over..an i dont her the fuel pump turn on
Old 06-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

it takes several hours to change. figure multiply shop rate at 75-100 an hour most places by 4-6hours and you will have your answer.
you can actualy do the replacement yourself with simple hand tools on jack stands if you want. it is not nearly as difficult as some guys make it sound.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
coldkilla

you can either drop the axle and the fuel tank and go through that pain in the ass or you can use a dremel and cut a small hatch right above the tank where the fuel tank is. i did this and it worked like a charm, removal/install took about 20 minutes. i can get you a link to pics where to make the cuts if you want. and dont worry, unless you are an animal with cutting tools, you wont blow yourself up by cutting fuel lines and you wont be hurting the structural integrity of the vehicle. before you go this route tho you might wanna check the obvious things, like the fuel filter, check for fuel pressure, check the injector fuses, etc.

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

If it is a pump, and you should do diagnostics first, so it right & drop the tank.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Agree check for fuel pressure before you start into a project that may not solve the problem.

Where the fuel lines connect to the at the intake there is a test port, With the key OFF, take the plastic cap off, put a towel over it and depress the schrader valve with a small screw driver and fuel should spray out.

If you have pressure you might want to pull a plug and check that is wet with fuel. This will tell you if the injectors are pulsing.

If you have no pressure then it could be the pump. Could also be a clogged fuel filter or line too? There is a weather pack connector under the car on the Driver's side if front of the axle. I would get a volt meter and check for current before dropping the tank.

Other things is to check for spark, with 93's coil do tend to go bad, also check for corrosion on the coil wire. Bad coil, ignition module or Opti would cause the car not to start.

JB
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
BlueFBird

its def the pump..has ne1 else tried cuttin a hatch to replace the pump...its way to much to pay someone to drop the tank..an i was wonderin if cuttin a small hole to reaplce it was safe
Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
coldkilla

sent you a message on the hole cutting. its cake.

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

i can drop my rear by myself in a hour and a half flat (and without using a impact). I did the hole in the floor method before, and its really not worth it to me. Its not much effort to drop the rear to get to the tank....

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #9
BlueFBird

ne1 kno of a good place to get a stock one cheap or aftermarket
Old 07-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Teds89IROC

I just replaced mine a couple of months ago. Disconnect the panhard/Z bar and shocks...rear will drop. disconnect the muffler (or from the cat and pull the whole thing out) then disconnect fuel lines and 2 bolts hold the tank up..it's really easy and no worrying about sealing back a hole in the floor.

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #11
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

chopping hole in hatch area = ghetto and the start of a good rust spot.
do it right, do it once, and don't f'up the car.
io have replaced plenty of pumps and i don't know why everyone makes a big deal out of it.
unbolt upper shock mounts, jack up car by the rear(as high as you can), support chassis on jack stands, unbolt one end of the panhard(lower is usually easier to reinstall), remove the rear wheels, lower the jack so that the rear swings out of the way.
support the gas tank with the jack, unbolt the straps(unbolting just the back side is fine), slowly lower the jack until the tank is clear.
turn the lock to let the pick up assembly out, replace the pump, then reinstall is the reverse of removal.
this is a very very easy job, only requires a jack, jack stands, and a basic rachet or wrench set.
with a hand from a friend you can do this the right way in your driveway in a few hours. about the same amount of time you will spend cutting and hoping you found the right spot doing it the wrong way.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER
chopping hole in hatch area = ghetto and the start of a good rust spot.
do it right, do it once, and don't f'up the car.
io have replaced plenty of pumps and i don't know why everyone makes a big deal out of it.
unbolt upper shock mounts, jack up car by the rear(as high as you can), support chassis on jack stands, unbolt one end of the panhard(lower is usually easier to reinstall), remove the rear wheels, lower the jack so that the rear swings out of the way.
support the gas tank with the jack, unbolt the straps(unbolting just the back side is fine), slowly lower the jack until the tank is clear.
turn the lock to let the pick up assembly out, replace the pump, then reinstall is the reverse of removal.
this is a very very easy job, only requires a jack, jack stands, and a basic rachet or wrench set.
with a hand from a friend you can do this the right way in your driveway in a few hours. about the same amount of time you will spend cutting and hoping you found the right spot doing it the wrong way.

I usually have a bitch of the time getting the filler neck to come out. I try to pull the fuel door off, take the gas cap off, and have someone guide it

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #13
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFBird View Post
ne1 kno wut a garage might charge to replace fuel pump?..

my camaro wont start up an i think its because of my fuel pump it cranks but doesnt turn over..an i dont her the fuel pump turn on
Im having the same problem with my 89 305 tbi. did you get yours fixed yet and if so where did you take it or did you do it yourself and how hard was it to do.
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

You are looking at around $250 in labor for us to replace the pump the right way as long as you dont have anything out of the ordinary in the exhaust department. If I get the car in the morning I can usually have it back to you in the afternoon of the same day.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
mtg6486
12 Second Club

i just did mine the tank was a bitch to get out but the pump install was very straightfoward. i just had to pull out the panhard bar exaust and heat shields
mtg6486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #16
String

yea dont hack the trunk....bad idea. Just had mine done. well its still being done because i have to wait for the new friggin pump to be delivered. the trunk idea is not so cool.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 AM   #17
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldkilla View Post
you can either drop the axle and the fuel tank and go through that pain in the ass or you can use a dremel and cut a small hatch right above the tank where the fuel tank is. i did this and it worked like a charm, removal/install took about 20 minutes. i can get you a link to pics where to make the cuts if you want. and dont worry, unless you are an animal with cutting tools, you wont blow yourself up by cutting fuel lines and you wont be hurting the structural integrity of the vehicle. before you go this route tho you might wanna check the obvious things, like the fuel filter, check for fuel pressure, check the injector fuses, etc.
can i get a link to those photos?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning