Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 07-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
LS1Hawk

Wheel squeak/chirp

May be more of a general question, but the last couple times I took my Firehawk out, I've been hearing a squeaking/chriping sound from the driver's side; I believe it's coming from the rear wheel because it seems the sound is right next to me. Could it be the shocks? I only hear the noise when I hit a bump or I'm driving on poorly paved road. The car has only 31,000 miles on it, so it's not like they're old. But my car isn't a daily driver, so I'm thinking it might be making the noise due to the amount of time it spends sitting. Or is it not the shocks and could it be something else like a bearing or something?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
enRo
13 Second Club

Push the car up and down on the side u think has a bad shock. If it makes the same noise, It could quite well be that.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

it could be the rubber shock mount
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
camaro2you

or the rubber in the lca's
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
Push the car up and down on the side u think has a bad shock. If it makes the same noise, It could quite well be that.
Yeah, that was the first thing I did when I started noticing it. But just pushing it up and down, it doesn't make any noise.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
Batman
11 Second Club

Probably the bushings in the LCA's
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
The Fixer

I can't imagine any rubber bushings being worn out after just 30K miles. Maybe the brake pad is loose in the caliper? They will rattle over bumps if you're not braking and they haven't been clamped down tight.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
I can't imagine any rubber bushings being worn out after just 30K miles. Maybe the brake pad is loose in the caliper? They will rattle over bumps if you're not braking and they haven't been clamped down tight.
Me either, but I'll check the LCA's anyway. But if it's the pad would it squeak like that? I would think the sound would be little different.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
NLinnear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
My pass. side LCA bushing wore out before 30K. Time has more of an effect than mileage for these things.
NLinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
LS1Hawk

I got my car up on the ramps today and checked it out. Everything looks alright to me. When I say that keep in mind that I don't consider myself a mechanic by any means. I didn't take the LCAs off the car or anything, but from what I could see of the bushings, they looked in good shape. No cracking or anything, and I could see a good amount of the bushings between the arms and where they bolt to the car.

So I'm still left with the question of what's causing the noise. Should I bring it in to get checked out? Maybe I'm not seeing something that someone with a better eye for these things would notice. Or is it really not that big a deal and I should just let it be?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

mine does the same thing, started when I took the LCAs off to do the rear rebuild. I think its most likely the rubber there is showing age.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #12
Firehawk 526
Supporting Member

John, do you have the lowered Bilstein suspension system? Just curious!
Are your bump stops still in good condition? I can explain why I am asking later, depending on your response.

BTW, I changed over to re-inforced LCA's and panhard (2) years ago, and thought same w/poly bushings. Everything checked out on mine also!

If you race frequently (40-50 passes over time), the bump stops completely eroded placing a hardship on the shock/spring setup, so that is why I asked. In addition, IMO, the pinion angle on my adjustable TA(torque arm) was also impacted. So I replaced the rear level one SLP suspension w/GC perches, 175# springs (b/c of extra 400#), and 4th gen SA Koni's. TO DATE, I have no more issues. Does sound typical of a bushing though! It is a PITA to isolate the problem, I will concur
2002 Pewter Firehawk #526 M6
Bolt-on Only334hp/353tq
2005 EFA Bracket Racing Points Champion
2005 EFA October COTM
2005 FSFB October ROTM
www.cardomain.com/memberpage/532717
Car Audio and Electronics, October 2005 issue

Last edited by Firehawk 526; 09-01-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Firehawk 526 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech