Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Sphinx

LT1 PCV supercharger problem

So i have a powerdyne supercharger on my 94 lt1. And my problem is when i reach high RPM's the supercharger sux oil out of my pcv valve on my valve covers. after a long winter of hibernation im all about fixing this problem - i took off the hose which runs to the supercharger and put a bolt in it to block off that line from being used, and i picked up a breather to put it in its place.

I put in the breather but realized smoke was coming from my valve covers and right through the breather... I have talked to a few guys that told me the smoke was common and thats why the intake usually sux that up and disposes it. But it sux for my situation b/c i dont want to be driving around with smoke slowly leaking out of my hood - i mean its not anything crazy just a noticeable amount of smoke.

Now i have have to ghetto rig some kind of contraption where it can breathe, but not release smoke? What would be your best bet? i was just thinking about taking a small pipe and welding it into my exhaust? or something of that nature...

lemme know

thanks
89' Camaro RS 350
87' Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 TPI
93' Cavalier Z24! Daily Driver
Sphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Are you using aftermarket valve covers? Mine didn't have any baffles and I was getting allot of oil in the breather, I found different grommets while at the Super Chevy show at Maple Grove ( soory, I have no idea what beand they might be) But they have baffles to keep the oil from getting pushed up into them as much.

Also Make sure your PCV valve isn't stuck closed and you building pressure when not under boost, or not closing under pressure.

On my set-up I have the hose from the back of the valve cover going into the air cleaner and a breather replacing the oil fill cap. The PVC valve was modified to use a GN's PVC so boost pressure can't get into the crank case.

Some of the high boost guys are using catch cans.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

If you have excessive smoke comong from the valve covers, even at idle, the engine is probably whooped and what you are seeing is blow by.. Time to freshen it up!!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
If you have excessive smoke comong from the valve covers, even at idle, the engine is probably whooped and what you are seeing is blow by.. Time to freshen it up!!
yup.... you shouldn't see a noticeable amount of smoke.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
johnjzjz

as was said you have a classic blow by problem -- stock style piston rings are not up to the task of pressure adders -- and you now are past the point of being able to just re ring as you should have done when you added the blower charger what ever -- even an engine with low miles suffers from boosting compression with out the proper parts -- JS Performance has plenty of experence with this sort of set up - pull it out before its scap metal and have him re do it now not after it blows up -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I ran the Powerdyne setup on my 93 LT1 for almost 5 years with no problems. I used the extension hose they provided to run the PCV all the way up to the intake tube. My car didn't burn any oil with 45K miles on the supercharger. If you're still using the Powerdyne "dryer hose" intake setup, try to get rid of that and get some sort of rigid tubing. That dryer hose will tend to suck itself flat and reduce the air being pulled through the filter and that results in more suction on the PCV end. I also ran either 15W-50 or 20W-50 synthetic oil in the spring to fall months with no problems.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning