Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 04-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
chevylover5

NEONs or LEDs

alrighty now, tried this on EPFBA with a less than positve reaction...

I was wondering if anyone had neons or leds in there rides...

I have leds under my car and various leds and neons in the interior.

*IF YOU ARE HERE TO BAD TALK OR SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE, PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR TIME, IM NOT ASKING FOR OPINIONS, IM ASKING IF ANYONE HAS ANY*
Old 04-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylover5 View Post
alrighty now, tried this on EPFBA with a less than positve reaction...

I was wondering if anyone had neons or leds in there rides...

I have leds under my car and various leds and neons in the interior.

*IF YOU ARE HERE TO BAD TALK OR SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE, PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR TIME, IM NOT ASKING FOR OPINIONS, IM ASKING IF ANYONE HAS ANY*
a friend of mine has neons wired up inside his jeep, he was actually interested in the ones maroman88 has. i dunno if they ever got in touch

if you've got questions i could try to forward them to him if you'd like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
j0n

a guy i know has a whole bunch of em wired up....to his 88 civic
Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
maroman88
12 Second Club

i had em underneath for a while. now there in the box in the garage lol
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
SupermanX24

I had neons inside my Camaro. The girls always loved them.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
chevylover5

any body have any pics? i was wondering what kind of neons/ leds people are running in the interior.

I have leds in every vent, on the third brake light assembly (to shine on rear seat delete), in the cup holder, and the only visible ones that are going to go soon(2-6in neon bars next to the radio).

I am afraid to put them where everyone else does(near the feet) because i had them there before and they seem to break easily there. Any words of advise of how i could hide these better? I dont like guady things, I dont like wires seen, I want it to look like they cant work until i turn them on. I like things hidden, Im a real PITA with that type of stuff,i believe if it isnt clean dont do it.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
NightRydaSS

'01 SS

-Street Glow multi-color LED underbody kit
-Street Glow multi-color Wheel-well kit
-Street glow LED's in air vents
-Street Glow neons under dash
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
chevylover5

nice man, how is that wheel well kit? i was thinkin of pickin one up but idk how well it would show... got any pics?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
NightRydaSS

no pics yet, but the multi-color LED kit (incl wheel-well kit) is friggin bright as hell. trust me, you will "see them"
Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
bobb1589

i have under dash led's .. they look awesome... i will try to get pics... advanced auto has these strips of leds about a foot long and less than a quarter inch thick... great to go by the feet because you cant break em because you dont really contact them. NEONs get destroyed quickly because they are bulky
Old 04-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 red slp View Post
i have under dash led's .. they look awesome... i will try to get pics... advanced auto has these strips of leds about a foot long and less than a quarter inch thick... great to go by the feet because you cant break em because you dont really contact them. NEONs get destroyed quickly because they are bulky
got more info?

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
chevylover5

no ive seen them before. id why i havent used them yet...

if these are the same thing, https://www.streetglow.com/cgi-local...ge=sgledst.htm

Last edited by chevylover5; 04-23-2007 at 05:14 PM.
chevylover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylover5 View Post
no ive seen them before. id why i havent used them yet...

if these are the same thing, https://www.streetglow.com/cgi-local...ge=sgledst.htm
a little searching and you can find those much cheaper

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
NightRydaSS

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle 454 View Post
a little searching and you can find those much cheaper
Find a cheaper price, NOT a cheaper brand. Ill tell ya from a LOT of experience; even though they look cool, Neons and LED's are a pain in the ass. I have had them on every car i have drivin and personally installed them.

But, I'd be a hypocrite if i said not to get them...so take my advice on the following...

1) Get LED's for the underbody. "neon" tubs break, burn out (i.e half the damn tube works and the other half doesn't), and they (at least mine did) tend to heat soak. I have had the circuit board melt and i had it as far away from a heat source as i could.

2) DO NOT buy the Walmart/Pep Boys special. Get name brand (StreetGlow, LiteGlow, PlasmaGlow, RedLine, ect). The $2.99 20" tube from "Tropic Neon" is garbage, lol, so is are the $59.99 Underbody kits from PepBoys. Pay the money up front or dod like i did and risk spend more money on replacement tubs then the damn kit was worth.

Installation varies from car to car. I have personally installed them on a '90 Accord, '96 Firebird, '90 Trans Am GTA, '97 Dodge Dakota, '96 Eclipse, and my '01 SS. The hardest part is hanging the damn tubs (finding a spot) and getting the wires inside the car without making the car look like swiss cheese and having water seep in. Of all the kits i have owned/installed the Multi-Color LED kit from StreetGlow is, IMO, by FAR THE BEST. 1 wire comes into the car into the controller and the Multi-Color Wheel-Well kit plugs inline with it. Reliable as hell and rugged (remember this is my DD), Rain, Sleet, Hail, Snow, Snad, Rocks, Heat, pot holes, ect and they still work great. The only thing i had to do with them was hook up an inline cut off switch to the controller. B/c with LED's it is an controller NOT a on/off switch. Thus power is ALWAYS "running" to the controller and i have had the controller not turn off. The neons were off the but the controller was still running the light pattern. Once I cut the power to the controller when the kit was off the problem went away.

Im norm up at Fuddruckers on Fri & Sun nights off of 42 "glowin away". lol. You should stop up if ur in the area.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
bobb1589

yep i used the street glow ones.. but they have larger ones
Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRydaSS View Post
Find a cheaper price, NOT a cheaper brand. Ill tell ya from a LOT of experience; even though they look cool, Neons and LED's are a pain in the ass. I have had them on every car i have drivin and personally installed them.

But, I'd be a hypocrite if i said not to get them...so take my advice on the following...

1) Get LED's for the underbody. "neon" tubs break, burn out (i.e half the damn tube works and the other half doesn't), and they (at least mine did) tend to heat soak. I have had the circuit board melt and i had it as far away from a heat source as i could.

2) DO NOT buy the Walmart/Pep Boys special. Get name brand (StreetGlow, LiteGlow, PlasmaGlow, RedLine, ect). The $2.99 20" tube from "Tropic Neon" is garbage, lol, so is are the $59.99 Underbody kits from PepBoys. Pay the money up front or dod like i did and risk spend more money on replacement tubs then the damn kit was worth.

Installation varies from car to car. I have personally installed them on a '90 Accord, '96 Firebird, '90 Trans Am GTA, '97 Dodge Dakota, '96 Eclipse, and my '01 SS. The hardest part is hanging the damn tubs (finding a spot) and getting the wires inside the car without making the car look like swiss cheese and having water seep in. Of all the kits i have owned/installed the Multi-Color LED kit from StreetGlow is, IMO, by FAR THE BEST. 1 wire comes into the car into the controller and the Multi-Color Wheel-Well kit plugs inline with it. Reliable as hell and rugged (remember this is my DD), Rain, Sleet, Hail, Snow, Snad, Rocks, Heat, pot holes, ect and they still work great. The only thing i had to do with them was hook up an inline cut off switch to the controller. B/c with LED's it is an controller NOT a on/off switch. Thus power is ALWAYS "running" to the controller and i have had the controller not turn off. The neons were off the but the controller was still running the light pattern. Once I cut the power to the controller when the kit was off the problem went away.

Im norm up at Fuddruckers on Fri & Sun nights off of 42 "glowin away". lol. You should stop up if ur in the area.
i was just talking about some simple LED strips to put inside my car
my friend's got his set up to the dome light and it looks awesome, if i was going to do something it'd be that and probably only that

nothing too special

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
NightRydaSS

o i kno, just sayin

Last edited by NightRydaSS; 04-23-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: stayin on topic
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #18
bobb1589

i need to figure out a better way to light my car... i have underdash led's but i want something on the ceiling... the early 4th gens have bad lighting...especially when your map lights dont work for some reason :-p
Old 05-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
Onesickss

if you are looking to light up anything I personally feel LED's are the way to go. I work in a car audio shop and have installed countless numbers of underbody and underdash LED's. the beauty of the LED's are the infinite adjustability of colors(most led kits are 5 color) and the extremely small size. we sell a kit made by a company called autoglow. they sell a 6 and 9 in dual tube underdash 5 color led kit and we also have a 5 colors wireless underbody kit. very good stuff. and with the underbody kit it has provisions to add all the other tubes to the one controller. HTH get back to me if you need any info.
Onesickss is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring