Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

Paint

I only have the car half wetsanded already, so maybe looking to places to get the Fiero painted will motivate me into getting faster into gear with finished. It's tough to find the time what with the weather and work.

Anyway, since the accident I have only 900 dollars of reimbursement money left since I just bought all the parts for the new front end. Any more than that will come out of my own pocket of course. So this begins, where can I get it painted? Anyone know a good deal for me? I'm not looking to go to Maaco for a Presidents package, that's what I want to avoid. Factory color, medium garnet red, nothing fancy. Maybe a lighter silver trim than what came on the car if anything. Please post if you know anything, it would be much appreciated.

-Liz

Also: 1974 Honda CB550/four. Ah, the OPEN-open road.
99 Saturn SW1. Flaunting a fender "blemish" (large gaping hole) thanks to a hit a run. Never caught the guy. Permanent Driveway Status at Justin's.
PBodyGT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
j0n

PM transmaro93, and tell him i said to do so...unless he sees this thread. Since you're doing the prep work he should be able to help you out
Old 08-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpontiac91 View Post
You would need to know if your paint is in good enough condition to use a 1500 compound(with a machine polisher and a wool pad). Then wash the whole car to remove any compound from the finish. Next would be a high quality name brand polish(applied with a foam pad and machine polisher). Last would be the hand application of a yellow wax, and wipe off with a micro finish towel. You'll need to reapply the wax about every other month to keep the paint looking this good, because the oils will start to leave the paint after only a few months. There is "NO" 6 month or a lasts forever sealent. They ALL need to be put back into the finish to keep that just waxed look. If you have a garage, then you extend the time between applications, but the more times that you wax it, the easier it becomes to put on and take off. Hope this helps, ED
She's wetsanding the car to prepare it for new paint......this has nothing to do with waxing or polishing existing paint.......

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Untamed

I thought Matt Evil90.. whatever worked at a paint shop?
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
I thought Matt Evil90.. whatever worked at a paint shop?
He does, but they are usually backed up for several months with resto work and things of that nature.

- Justin

Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
jims69camaro

find something local. get an estimate. not just of the amount of paint and labor, but the amount of time. find out if they have a downdraft booth. find out if they can alter the temperature in the booth (faster drying time). since you've done a lot of prep work yourself, they will probably not charge too much for prep, but they will go over the car to make sure the prep was done right. if it is a halfway decent job, then they should cut you a break. expect the bill to be somewhere in the 1k-1.5k area, dependent on the amount of prep work they have to do.

i'd say bring your car down here, but i am not back in the shop until late september (took the summer off), so that may or may not work into your schedule. also, the painter in the shop where i was interning doesn't like to paint whole cars. he has in the past, like his brother's f-150 (my first start-to-finish prep job).

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

My cousin and Uncle work at a body shop in Ewing, I may be able to help you out a little on the price if want to take it over there for and estimate.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
My cousin and Uncle work at a body shop in Ewing, I may be able to help you out a little on the price if want to take it over there for and estimate.
What shop?

- Justin

Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
PolarBear

Maximum auto body, I think it is on Troy ave off of Prospect sort of. It is near a car wash and old minigolf place
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

I might have to look there for an estimate then, at least it's close. Can't beat having it in ewing. That is unless I totally can't afford it. Haha.

99 Saturn SW1. Flaunting a fender "blemish" (large gaping hole) thanks to a hit a run. Never caught the guy. Permanent Driveway Status at Justin's.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro View Post

i'd say bring your car down here, but i am not back in the shop until late september (took the summer off), so that may or may not work into your schedule. also, the painter in the shop where i was interning doesn't like to paint whole cars. he has in the past, like his brother's f-150 (my first start-to-finish prep job).

Doesn't like to paint whole cars? That's kinda strange. Well, then again I guess it's a pain. A fiero is pretty small though, most of the exterior accents and whatnot are just rattle canned, and other than that there isn't a whole lot of body to cover. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad? I don't think I'll get it all ready until at least late september however, so that might just work anyway. I'm going to have to check some estimates in the nearby area, and see what's worth going to. even if the shop is farther away I can't beat a nice paint job and a good deal.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
PolarBear

Depending when you go I may be able to help more or less for you. I sort of work there, I am working on the managers 71 Camaro in my spare time and when I am able to work at the shop which turns out to be mostly just Saturdays. My cousin is kind of the secondary manager there now. The other guy is out a lot and my cousin does all the estimates when he is gone. My uncle is actually the painter there and he repainted my Solstice when I had my accident, I have a hard time trusting my stuff to anyone so it was easier to not worry about my car in my family's hands.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBodyGT87 View Post
Doesn't like to paint whole cars? That's kinda strange.
I think he means that he doesn't like to paint cars that aren't completely taken apart....

- Justin

Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I think he means that he doesn't like to paint cars that aren't completely taken apart....

- Justin
Easy enough to do with the fiero. It's just about all skins.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

Quote:
Depending when you go I may be able to help more or less for you. I sort of work there, I am working on the managers 71 Camaro in my spare time and when I am able to work at the shop which turns out to be mostly just Saturdays. My cousin is kind of the secondary manager there now. The other guy is out a lot and my cousin does all the estimates when he is gone. My uncle is actually the painter there and he repainted my Solstice when I had my accident, I have a hard time trusting my stuff to anyone so it was easier to not worry about my car in my family's hands.
I'll have to check it out for a quote, like i said, i have 900 dollars left over, so I'm trying not to go too far above that. I may be able to swing 300 dollars more. I know that doesn't get me a whole lot, but at least the prep will be done.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
PolarBear

Let me know when you plan on going over and I will talk to my cousin. He comes back from vacation tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
EVIL90SS

maximum sucks...those guys dont even have a booth or nothin. Dj's Restoration biotches !!

EVIL90SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #18
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVIL90SS View Post
maximum sucks...those guys dont even have a booth or nothin. Dj's Restoration biotches !!
What experience are you going from? You cant say someone sucks and not post evidence of it. They painted my car and there was almost no dirt in it, then they wetsanded and buffed it, looks as good as if not better than the factory. Besides, it is a BODY shop, not a resto shop and a lot of "resto" shops are just body shops too......
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #19
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
What experience are you going from? You cant say someone sucks and not post evidence of it. They painted my car and there was almost no dirt in it, then they wetsanded and buffed it, looks as good as if not better than the factory. Besides, it is a BODY shop, not a resto shop and a lot of "resto" shops are just body shops too......
he works at DJ's IIRC
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #20
PolarBear

But he doesnt reply to what I asked.......

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 09-21-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: not in the mood
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
JerzLT1

i wouldnt take my car to get painted anywhere without a booth...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #22
PolarBear

Would you take your car to Maaco? They have a booth.

Maximum does have a booth. And Someone over at DJ's isnt being very nice.....
Old 09-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #23
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

I considered DJ's, and I know Matt does really excellent work, but the price I'm sure would be out of my range. They do a lot of high end jobs. You get what you pay for though, for sure.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #24
matt01Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBodyGT87 View Post
I considered DJ's, and I know Matt does really excellent work, but the price I'm sure would be out of my range. They do a lot of high end jobs. You get what you pay for though, for sure.
+1+1+1
or
+3

either way the guys who painted my car did an amazing job ... expensive (but i had insurance money) but it was well worth it
Platinum Auto Works, best car paint place I've ever seen/been in/been to.
tons of custom stuff too!

http://www.platinumautoworks.com/

ALL PAINTED!!!!!
Sick Paint Job; Drilled/slotted rotors; Painted Calipers
Black TTM 2 17x9.5 2 17x10.5;2 275,40,17 ;2 315,35,17
Future Mods: SLP Cold Air Intake, Small shot of nitrous, headers, catted y, Stereo System(debatable)

Last edited by matt01Z28; 09-26-2007 at 11:03 PM.
matt01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance