Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
fmybody

Unhappy puddles

sooo i have a 2001 camaro ss with t-tops and i never had a leak problem till now... not sure if its because the car was out and uncovered during all the snow and ice and such... but

the headliner isnt wet.. the seats arent wet its just on the passenger side behind the passenger seat and under neather the rear passenger seat that have nice little puddles..

i opened up the T's and everything looks normal.. weather stripping is nice and soft and news looking.. hatch closes fine.... could it be the windos? i just dont see anythihng dripping so i dont knkow where its comming from

anyone have simular problems? or know common places to look..

i dont wanna spend money on weather stripping if thats not gonna help at all..
fmybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i'd put money on the ttop seal. it will run down behind the sail panel and collect back there. get someone with a garden hose to spray water every which way and try to watch and see where its coming from. strip some panels out of the way to help.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
fmybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
i'd put money on the ttop seal. it will run down behind the sail panel and collect back there. get someone with a garden hose to spray water every which way and try to watch and see where its coming from. strip some panels out of the way to help.
your prob right.. ill have to wait till this week when its nicer out and get out there and look .. its soo frustrating lol and i dont have a wet vac so i straight used like 5 rolls of paper towels... like camaro tampons..
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

Its the wind thats making them leak now. The water isnt simply draining down, but being forced inside the car.

Get clear window sealant, take a part the top, and seal everything behind the weather stripping. Reassemble and let it cure. Its not a perfect fix, but it will keep more water out.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
B4C

Yeah I have a puddle in the same spot...Im gutting my car tomorrow to get the carpet out and dry and to see where its leaking from...Do the t-tops have drains you know like sunroofs do? I know my windows leak alittle but this storm it was really bad.

Last edited by B4C; 03-15-2010 at 12:04 AM.
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
fmybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkEvil View Post
Its the wind thats making them leak now. The water isnt simply draining down, but being forced inside the car.

Get clear window sealant, take a part the top, and seal everything behind the weather stripping. Reassemble and let it cure. Its not a perfect fix, but it will keep more water out.
your prob right.. ive been keeping an eye on them today... and its not bad.. just a little dammp.. prob from the first couple puddles... ill play it by ear for now...
Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
Yeah I have a puddle in the same spot...Im gutting my car tomorrow to get the carpet out and dry and to see where its leaking from...Do the t-tops have drains you know like sunroofs do? I know my windows leak alittle but this storm it was really bad.
the weather stripping is hollowed out for the water to drain down through.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

The windows will leak around the weatherstripping in high wind and rain situations. I don't think there is anything you can do about it except watch which way the wind/rain is blowing and park your car directly into it or away from it. Any wind hitting from the side will force the rain past the weatherstripping. My 93 Pace Car got soaked on the passenger side while on vacation at the beach one year. The seat was soaked and so was the carpet. I also found 2" of water in the cooler that was closed and sitting on the back porch during the storm! That should tell you how wind can force water into anything.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Aminue

Jonny that little puddle aint nothing. Come sit in mine. You'll need a whole new wardrobe. My car is beyond soaked. I'm starting to regret buying one with Ttops
Aminue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
B4C

Quote:
the weather stripping is hollowed out for the water to drain down through.
Ah I saw those holes and was wondering if thats what they were for.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i agree that wind can force the rain past the weatherstripping but i can't see how that would cause it to puddle under the rear seat. i guess when it gets nicer out, OP can check for sure where it was coming from.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
JW

Maybe a car cover would help in this situation.

JW
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
fmybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminue View Post
Jonny that little puddle aint nothing. Come sit in mine. You'll need a whole new wardrobe. My car is beyond soaked. I'm starting to regret buying one with Ttops
hahaha i know. but turd gens cam standard with leaky t-tops.. you will enjoy it once its sunny! like this week! its supposed to be sunny and like 60 all week... if i were you id get that headliner fixed up first tho.. if you want the info where i got my stuff done let me know and ill hook you up
Quote:
i agree that wind can force the rain past the weatherstripping but i can't see how that would cause it to puddle under the rear seat. i guess when it gets nicer out, OP can check for sure where it was coming from.
so far no more water has been coming in.. but i adjusted the Ttops to make sure thay were in snug close my doors a little harder and keep a full roll of paper towels under the seat and behind the passenger seat (camaro tampons) and so far there good. but im keeping an eye on it and if i get more water ill have to take some stuff apart and find the source
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Maybe a car cover would help in this situation.

JW
i got one but its made ot of some weird cloth material... the guy gave it to me when he sold me the car .. ill buy a better one...and stop being lazy and get out there and cover it

again all your guys feed back is very much appreciated !

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech