Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

H.I.D.s..

After driving my car first the first time at night i think i need a little brighter lights. so is anyone running an HID set up on the 4th get LT1s? if so wered you get it and how are they?
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
lt14mla

i just went thru the same dilmemma. You can get a pretty good HID off ebay, but do some research one which ones. Check over on LS1tech too. theres some really good articles. I actually didnt end up going with HIDs because i was impatient and went with the sylvania upgrades from autozone. they still made a HUGE difference.

A factory freak with a few goodies...but more to come

MUST SELL ASAPhttp://www.ls1tech.com/forums/vehicl...l#post14241783
lt14mla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
thunder
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt14mla View Post
i just went thru the same dilmemma. You can get a pretty good HID off ebay, but do some research one which ones. Check over on LS1tech too. theres some really good articles. I actually didnt end up going with HIDs because i was impatient and went with the sylvania upgrades from autozone. they still made a HUGE difference.
do u rember how much it cost
Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

you need projector housings to run HIDs

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/u/mulgeary/Hella90/
Old 06-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

ehh, im really not a fan of the circle lights on the car. id rather havcee the square. maybe ill just do some upgraded bulbs.
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

thats not true, you dont need a projector housing. Yeah you arent focusing the light and just pissing people off but o well you get the brighter light you want

http://www.xenonlink.com/ very good prices, works very well. Extremely simple to install, all plug and play. just get the kit for whatever bulb you car takes. if its a 9005 halogen bulb get the 9005 kit and your old connector plugs into the HID balist and then you just mountthe balist up and plug in the new HID bulb to your lens

i have some dark tint in the back so i dont mind have people with HIDS behind me 8]

Last edited by MyFirstZ; 06-01-2009 at 11:09 PM.
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
91DropTop

http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/camaro_headlights.htm

i just got this kit for my trans am direct fit took me about 10 minutes to install and its still a glass housing just with an h7 bulb so if you really wanted to you can run HID's although without a projector they will be obnoxious

kit was 88 bucks with "xenon" bulbs

Last edited by 91DropTop; 06-01-2009 at 11:55 PM.
91DropTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
98Gsxr750

i have a 93 z28 with an hid kit on it. I went with the 6000k kit. Huge upgrade on being able to see. And i have the circle bulbs. I dont mind the way it looks at all. I actually like the way it looks. I will try to get a picture up so you can see what it looks like. Either way hids are worth it.
98Gsxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbegz28 View Post
ehh, im really not a fan of the circle lights on the car. id rather havcee the square. maybe ill just do some upgraded bulbs.
there are also the piaa ones. search ls1tech. either way with HID's you need a projector housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFirstZ View Post
thats not true, you dont need a projector housing. Yeah you arent focusing the light and just pissing people off but o well you get the brighter light you want

http://www.xenonlink.com/ very good prices, works very well. Extremely simple to install, all plug and play. just get the kit for whatever bulb you car takes. if its a 9005 halogen bulb get the 9005 kit and your old connector plugs into the HID balist and then you just mountthe balist up and plug in the new HID bulb to your lens

i have some dark tint in the back so i dont mind have people with HIDS behind me 8]
so when a car is coming head on at you on a single lane backroad, you still don't mind? which would you rather drive with, a candle or a flashlight? a scattered hid beam is worse than stock. don't be ignorant!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

i usually just laugh and say those were freaking bright. How do you figure its worse ? Im pretty sure i can see better then i ever have. That and i really dislike the look of projectors on camaros. They just dont fit
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

instead of concentrating the beam down the center of the road, you are scattering it everywhere. even though the hid's are brighter, they are not aimed correctly in a non-projector housing and do not have the proper cut off. just because you don't mind doesn't mean other people could have a more serious effect. there are medical conditions out there pertaining to light and eyes.....

if you want blue headlights, go buy blue bulbs.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
i usually just laugh and say those were freaking bright. How do you figure its worse ? Im pretty sure i can see better then i ever have. That and i really dislike the look of projectors on camaros. They just dont fit
Really great ignorant information. In all seriousness, the proper way to run HIDs is with a proper HID projector. You can get away with HIDs in a halogen projector but really depends on the optics. Did I retrofit a halogen housing with an HID....yes I did and the performance wasn't bad. However there was still some glare even with all the fancy shields and housing I purchased. Nothing compares to the true projector so call me a snob but I do care about my fellow motorist.

You blind them in the oncoming lane and they happen to swerve right into you....who's fault?

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
...Nothing compares to the true projector so call me a snob but I do care about my fellow motorist.

You blind them in the oncoming lane and they happen to swerve right into you....who's fault?
Depends on the legality, I suppose. I could be wrong but I thought HIDs were illegal unless OE. Anyone know?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yes, most plug and play manufacturers get shut down
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
98Gsxr750

i agree get the correct housing for the hids. And yea they are illegal. As bmxrider put it thats why most mnufacturers get the ax.
98Gsxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Technically you don't need a projector to run HIDs (although I have been on that bandwagon before), but you do need a housing that was designed with proper optics for HIDs. Just tossing a set of HID bulbs into your stock housings is a crapshoot at best, and very dangerous at the worst.

Do yourself and your fellow motorists a favor and do the HID conversion right, or not at all. If you don't like the projector look, then you can cut the back out of your stock housings and insert the projectors into them.

Here's a stock Jeep housing, with a Lexus projector retrofited:

Here's the pattern from that Jeep before the projector retrofit:

...and after the projector retrofit:

Obviously this will vary depending on the housing you are starting with, but it just goes to show how much of a difference it makes.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Depends on the legality, I suppose. I could be wrong but I thought HIDs were illegal unless OE. Anyone know?
They are illegal unless OE.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
emolineaux

i bought a set of bulbs off ebay some ultra blue lights they are way better to see at night with then stockers. but i dont drive much at night with the z anymore lol.
emolineaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
2kblackgtp

if you go with HID's, make sure you go with the slim line ballasts, they are digital rather than analog and are honestly much more reliable, although a little more expensive. I got mine off ebay for 70 dollars and they work well so far

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance