Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
miketa95

I know this isn't a truck forum but...

I've had some simple questions about a leveling kit that I posted on fsc.com and now these people have confused me more. I was going to buy the rough country suspension leveling kit, didn't know if the shocks were needed, or if i can keep my current shocks and only use those "key" things like they sell on ebay for $60.

Instead, everyone there keeps talking about effing with the torsion bars. To me personally, this sounds like a bad idea. I'd rather just have my original question answered but all anyone there had to say is "crank the torsion bar." My only concern is that this truck needs to last me a while, I just bought it, so i don't want the front end all messed up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
miketa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
DAcoatAH

what truck/ year 2wd or 4wd

Last edited by DAcoatAH; 07-28-2009 at 10:19 AM.
DAcoatAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
miketa95

2006 silverado 4x4 z71
miketa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
DAcoatAH

if you really want a leveling kit and dont know much about it (which i dont) get the full kit on rough country for $189.95 plus shipping
Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
91chevywt

I wouldn't recommend messing with the torsion bars. Many do it, but its not really the best thing to do. If you want to do it right spend the money on a reputable kit, like rough country.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Current shock wont work cause you're going to be stratching them out. I think the shocks that come standard with those kits are junk. I didnt even use them with mine.

The leveling kit is basically new keys and if you want to spend the money you can get new rear blocks. (just remember installing them that the thinner side goes towards the front.

Get the tool for the keys. Unless you modify a c-clamp. You need to release the pressure when you remove them, and mark or count the threads when reinstalling.

Or just crank on the torsion bars ...

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I haven't had a full size Chevy, but I've cranked up the torsion bars on several Toyota trucks and 4Runners to get an extra 1-1.5" of lift to help level the truck. I never had a problem. If you try to crank the torsion bars for 2-3" of lift and put 33" or larger tires on, then you're really messing with it and way past what the original design was supposed to handle. If you're only looking for minimal adjustment, the torsion bars won't be a problem. I'm not sure what these "keys" are but it sounds like they might be a quicky fix as well and not engineered like a proper lift kit.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

The "key" i believe is a ford torsion key that allows for adjustment. If you want just a little bit more out of the truck just do the leveling kit and you're going to need shocks. I did a 3" kit to my Ram front and rear and needed shocks, but mine were shot to begin with so it did not matter. You can always option to do the torsion keys also, its really not a problem with it. I am going to do my fathers 05 Z71 once his needs shocks, and stuff a little more tire under it.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech