Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
muaymendez1

Leaking fuel

So i noticed that i was going through fuel quicker than described by chevy as fuel milage.

i remeber smelling fuel when I get out of the car but thought it was just the filler neck vent ing a lil. beside I thought that when the snow clears I should be able to see if any fuel leaked. I parked it ini dry areas overnight and nothing.
well today i ran the car for about 15 min to warm up and get rid of some of the snow and behold. Fuel leaked by the fuel tank,.
i will have to check this out on teh next dry weekend but maybe some one who knows what it looks like under there can give me an idea of what could be leaking while the car is running. I am thiniing a fuel line or even fuel filter placed wrong.
this can also be a reason for the car taking longer to start in the cold once the pressurized lines have been depressurized.
Any ideas??
muaymendez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

has your fuel pump ever been replaced? when the prev. owner did it in mine they re used the old gasket on the top of the tank. mine was leaking fuel from there
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
MotorTrendz

its definitly y your car takes longer to start bc it needs to build fuel pressure again, it should hold pressure when its off to make restarting the vehicle easier, and you will notice it more on hot starts, the reason is bc fuel under pressure or any liquid for that matter raises the boiling or evap point, so when it its hot and it looses pressure you wind up with a vapor lock causing a hard/no start condition after a hot run or drive.

i would definitly look at all the connections expecially around the fuel filter, but unfortunatly if the problem is the line to pump you will have to drop the tank to repair it.

on my car i actually made an access pannel under the carpet in the trunk area they is 14x14 right over the fuel pump so i can replace or service the pump, lines or electrical conections without having to drop the exhaust or the axle to access it.. i used 3/4 angle steel and welded it and used sheetmetal folded the edges so it slides over the angle and is secured with sheetmetal zips for a legal firewall access to the tank..

good luck
MotorTrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
muaymendez1

I have heard of that. i was actually looking to do that with my ford bronco.
Do you have any more info on this or a pic maybe.
if its the tank then ill definetly do this but i may want to do without the torch or grinder!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Without trying to start yet another debate on the fuel pump access situation on 3rd and 4th gens, I would advise that you don't cut apart your car. It really is not difficult to drop the tank from below with a little bit of know how and a basic tool set.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Without trying to start yet another debate on the fuel pump access situation on 3rd and 4th gens, I would advise that you don't cut apart your car. It really is not difficult to drop the tank from below with a little bit of know how and a basic tool set.

- Justin
Voices of logic are hard to come by in these dark times of hack jobs.

Drop the tank for you and your cars sake.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

More that likely its the return line rusted through.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
muaymendez1

So i got under the car and saw the bottom of the car soaked. No leak found and no lines wett just the bottom of the car forward of the fuel tank. By the axel hump.
I need to get some real tools and a good jack and stands . i noticed the car slipping so quickly got out from under there.
Will try again to see if I can find the leak. May up on stands with the egine running I may find it.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

How long had the car been shut off when you got under it to check and found it soaked? Are you sure that it's gas covering everything?

I only ask because gas evaporates pretty quickly - so if it had been a while since you ran the car, I would bet that it's something else making the mess back there.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech