Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
97Formula

Intermittent LT1 Ticking?

My car doesn't seem to tick all the time (but lately it has been ticking more often than not). When I hear ticking, I either hear it at idle (when fully warm), or around 1400-1500RPM (not noticeable at all around 1200-1300RPM, or anywhere above 1500RPM). The tick sounds like it could be coming from anywhere (most noticeable when I open my driver side door, sounds like coming from the bottom of the car). But when I open the hood it also sounds like it's coming from there too.

The car still runs strong with no SES light. No driveability issues, and no additional vibrations from the ticking. The engine oil has always been changed no more than 2000 miles each interval with Mobil 1 5w30, with 31500 miles on it now (magnetic drain plug didn't have any heavy metal chunks, just the normal metallic particle covering the tip of the plug).

Do all LT1's experience ticking? I had the car since new and it seems that I always had some kind of ticking (actually had the lifters replaced at 3500 miles because the dealer thought that was making the noise).
Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Try probing around with a long screw driver and placing your ear to the end of it. This should help isolate and amplify the noise. It could be in the valvetrain or it could be a small exhaust leak, both happen on lt1s.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Try probing around with a long screw driver and placing your ear to the end of it. This should help isolate and amplify the noise. It could be in the valvetrain or it could be a small exhaust leak, both happen on lt1s.
I think I'll have to try that. that's when I put the tip of the screwdriver on different parts of the engine, correct?

Also, I noticed that when the engine is cold it does not tick at all, or anytime during warmup. Once the engine reaches operating temps, the ticking returns.

Anyone know good shops in Central Jersey area that know LT1 engines really well (specifically in the Trenton/Hamilton/Robbinsville areas)?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

That's definitely strange its only when hot. Might be a tough one to diagnose over the internet. Yes its putting the tip of the screw driver on different things and listening through the handle. I cup my hand and put my ear in that.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
transmaro93

could be a small exhaust leak that only starts when metal expands from heat... could also be a wrist pin knock on a piston but the car only has 31k on it? thats low miles for a wrist pin knock... my jeep has a wristpin noise with over 130k on it... prob most likely an edxhaust leak
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
transmaro93

ohh and if there is a harbor freight near you they sell a decent mechanic stethoscope for pretty cheap that works real well for listening for noises incase you dont want to use grandpaBMXers screwdriver method haha
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
The Fixer

I remember my LT1-powered Impala SS making a ticking noise similar to what you describe when the EGR valve died. It could be just the solenoid, or maybe the gasket, or the EGR itself. It's bolted to the backside of the intake manifold - probably a royal PITA to reach under the windshield cowl, but it was an easy job on my Impala.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

long piece of heater hose works well as 'stethoscope' too

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

My old 93 always had a piston slap type tapping noise. It would get a little louder when the car wanted an oil change and would quiet back down with fresh oil. I was running a Powerdyne 4.5 lb supercharger on it and went with Mobil1 15W40 or 20W50. The car had 74K on it when I sold it and never had any real problems with the motor. What oil filter are you using?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

The 'vert has always had a slight ticking around idle.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

LT1s have lots of ticks, even the injectors can tick. How is the oil pressure? LT1 historically have low oil pressure, and some filters can actually cause a tick. If you not using a GM filter, switch to one next oil change.

Also check the exhaust, could be a leak at the join, and the 97s have that odd cat placement on the drivers side.

Also check under the hood in the dark, a bad wire can arc and tick and still not cause the car to run bad. I've seen this 2-3 times. The #3+5 and #6 cylinders like to burn wires over time.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
LT1s have lots of ticks, even the injectors can tick. How is the oil pressure? LT1 historically have low oil pressure, and some filters can actually cause a tick. If you not using a GM filter, switch to one next oil change.
Oil pressure is above 40 on cold startup and stays that way until warm. Once warm, it is 20-25 at idle, and at least 40 while driving. By GM filter, do you mean oil filter? If so, I'm using a K&N since the new GM filters are now half the size as they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Also check the exhaust, could be a leak at the join, and the 97s have that odd cat placement on the drivers side.

Also check under the hood in the dark, a bad wire can arc and tick and still not cause the car to run bad. I've seen this 2-3 times. The #3+5 and #6 cylinders like to burn wires over time.
I'll have to check that....still no SES, and still no ticking until warmed up to operating temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
What oil filter are you using?
K&N HP2002

Last edited by 97Formula; 02-11-2012 at 02:00 PM.
97Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
z28camaro94
13 sec club

my car make a similar noise, only upon deceleration from about 30mph down to 5mph then goes away, and only when warmed up...very strange i have yet to be able to trace it down..but sounds like coming from front wheels
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
97Formula

Also lately, I noticed that on occasion it sounds like "bells ringing" under the passenger side valve cover (lasts for a split second here and there)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Formula View Post
Also lately, I noticed that on occasion it sounds like "bells ringing" under the passenger side valve cover (lasts for a split second here and there)
Took it to a shop, they said nothing is physically wrong with the engine. But they told me the ticking is due to low oil pressure at idle and recommends a different oil (15w50 hot rod oil). Any thoughts on that???
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Took it to a shop, they said nothing is physically wrong with the engine. But they told me the ticking is due to low oil pressure at idle and recommends a different oil (15w50 hot rod oil). Any thoughts on that???
IMO- Nope. That type of thing will get your pressure up but it won't be right for the engine.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #17
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
IMO- Nope. That type of thing will get your pressure up but it won't be right for the engine.
Thanks for confirming, as I was extremely skeptical to jumping straight to an oil that thick (currently using M1 5w30). After doing some research, I decided to give M1 10w30 a try (since it rarely gets below 0*F around here). It did seem to quiet the car somewhat at hot idle (too early to tell). But I was also wondering about other oils in these viscosities (i.e. Penzoil Platinum, German Castrol, etc)...

EDIT - The car has never consumed oil between oil changes (dipstick reading is always the same as the day I put the oil in)

Last edited by 97Formula; 02-18-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

How many miles are on the motor?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
97Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
How many miles are on the motor?
31500 miles
Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

20-25PSI is actually good for an LT1, some see as lower at 15 (this is on the stock gauge). I would agree not to go to a 50W oil. Stay with what ou are using.

Switching from 5-30 to 10-30 adds nothing, once the oil is hot it the same 30W

If it's really bothering you can do a spring change on the oil pump to give you more pressure, You can do a search on this site about the GM white spring. It can be used to increase oil pressure. but that is allot of work for something I honestly don't think you need to be real concerned about.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 02-18-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #21
97Formula

Just had it out tonight. I punched the gas at around 40-45MPH, and when it kicked into 2nd, I think I heard some ticking while under hard acceleration for a second (this was in the 3500-4500 RPM range). But when I slowed down to idle, the car wasn't really ticking at all.

EDIT -- I am now thinking that it was due to being close to a guardrail on a ramp (causing a "reverberating" effect). Tried a few times just now on different roads and was not able to reproduce the "ticking" sound I heard before on harder acceleration.

Last edited by 97Formula; 02-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
greenformula92

you have good idle oil presure for a LT1. Both I had had no more than 10PSI at operating temp. I think Alldata says LT1 idle oil presure is 7-10PSI or something like that.

by the way both my LT1's also had a idle tick when hot

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #23
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I ran 15W40 or 20W50 in my old 93 and never had any problems. But you could usually tell when the oil was getting old, it would start to get louder with the ticking noises.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
97Formula

Quote:
Just had it out tonight. I punched the gas at around 40-45MPH, and when it kicked into 2nd, I think I heard some ticking while under hard acceleration for a second (this was in the 3500-4500 RPM range). But when I slowed down to idle, the car wasn't really ticking at all.

EDIT -- I am now thinking that it was due to being close to a guardrail on a ramp (causing a "reverberating" effect). Tried a few times just now on different roads and was not able to reproduce the "ticking" sound I heard before on harder acceleration.
Quick update to this particular post -- I am now worried that it was detonation I heard for that little bit! Reason I was thinking is I had my car at the dealer replacing the fuel pump since I was still trying to solve the "slow prime" issue and occasional slightly harder cold starts. They tested fuel pressure, which was 45PSI with key on engine off, and 35PSI when running. Was told that GM specs called for 55-60PSI, and after the new pump it showed 58PSI (and the car accelerated a bit stronger and smoother, so I guess I was gradually losing power along the way as the fuel pump started to go).

How would I know if I damaged the engine (since I did not know the fuel pump was really on its way out but still did WOT runs here and there)? I am perplexed that I did not get a SES light or even a trouble code all this time...

Last edited by 97Formula; 03-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #25
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Actually, your previous fuel pressures were correct. 55-60 is too high. GM specs 40-49 I believe Key On Engine Off and 10 psi less engine running. There is no fuel pressure sensor so the engine wouldn't throw a code for that ever.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech