Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey

Notices

Old 12-22-2004, 01:35 AM   #1
Black'nOrange93z

Anyone wanna help.

Well guys, my user name is a bit off but that's ok. Winter is here and now is the time to get serious. I dunno if anyone has a garage or some kind of shop that they can use, but my Z has got a bit of a leak. Dont kno if it front main, or rear main or what, but it is soaking my opti and is only a matter of time until you kno what happens. All that work is under warranty but i'd like to avoid the mech shop if i can. I wanted to tackle this bastard myself but i dont have a garage or the knowledge of serious motor work. I'm planning on buy the coil packs conversion also. Anyway the point is, if anyone has access to do some serious work and is willing to help that'd be pretty awesome and i'll do what i can to make it worth your while. A little friendly help as opposed to a laborous time thing going on. Anyway, let me know everyone or anyone if you have any ideas. It would be a tedious job and something that would take a good while...days or weeks....thought i'd throw it out there so we'll see what happens.

Giovanni The Yellow, Black Striped 93z.

....new goodies......eaton posi with 3:73's installed........SLP Loudmouth recieved, but not yet installed......stuff you already know about.....Paxton s-charger....Edelbroch shorty headers and y-pipe....MSD works....shift kit....yada yada.....THANKS EVERYONE.

EastCoast93z@aol.com is my screen name also...HIT ME UP
Black'nOrange93z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Gio I'm defenitly up for helping with the install. I want to learn it myself for when my time comes. But my garage isnt any good, and I have a really weak tool set.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
Black'nOrange93z

well does your garage fit a car in it and would the car be able to stay there for as long as needed.....if it's the lack of tools ur worried about, well, i can work that aspect out if need be......
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
Black'nOrange93z

my garage fits my car, but thats only if my garage is empty which will never ever happen.....hmm....and if it wasn't winter then i wouldnt mind leaving the car in pieces outsdie but working in the cold will become a pain....there wont be many tolerable days left to work outside for hours on end.......
Old 12-22-2004, 09:17 AM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I would also be willing to help out, but I can't provide any space for the car.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:32 AM   #6
Black'nOrange93z

what's up...thanks for the offers to help - much appreciated - i'm working on a site to be bale to leave my car...hopefully something will come up...
Old 12-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #7
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Let me know, because from what I read the install isnt that hard, and doenst require much tearing down, mostly snapping in and bolting down.

But in my garage its really cramped. At most we could pull the car in up to the doors and partially close the garage on the car, and turn on a space heater. And we could even put it up on ramps inside.

Just let me know when the kit comes, and I'll work something out with my parents.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Black'nOrange93z

sounds good - after new year im dropping my car off at my mech who installed a new water pump, opti, timimng chain/cover....he is going to evaluate the leak and see if it has anything to do with that work he did in april......then i can begin to see where the leak is really coming from....but thanks, im sure something will go down soon enough
Old 12-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
V
Stalker

if the leak is in the front, its most likely the oil pan seal against the bottom of the timing cover. Â*since you said it was recently done, id feel confident in saying thats what it is. Â*I highly doubt it has anything to do with the rear main seal since you say the opti is getting oil soaked, the rear main seal wouldnt do that. Â*If it is just the front pan seal, all you need to do is drop the pan a tiny bit(if theres room) and remove the harmonic balancer. Â*there should be enough room to wipe down and clean up the area then apply a generous bead of RTV silicone on the front lip of the oil pan and reinstall it. Do not use the rubber gaskets that come with gasket kits, they always leak. Â*Another possible leak source could be where the water pump drive comes through the timing cover. Â*that would require the water pump and timing cover removed and the seal replaced. And again since you said you just had work done, it seems that mechanic is responsible for this problem. Â*Either of those repairs shouldnt take more than a easy days work. maybe that info helps a little. also since you're dealing with the water pump, you may want to look into an electric conversion for the LT1, which puts a electric pump in the housing and includes a plug for the timing cover shaft hole.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #10
Black'nOrange93z

good looks - thanks for the info - i've heard a few different things that it could be - until i really check it out i guess i wont know - by the way - you live in closter - u have that pewter SS with the center exhaust i think - i saw you there iwth my buddy like a year ago - he has the gunmetal 92 firebird and my car prolly had either white or yellow stripes at the time.....
Old 12-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
9secfirebird

i have a heated shop, IM me blacktoprecs if ya want help
Old 12-22-2004, 10:59 PM   #12
j0n

if i were u id go with this 9sec character...other than the occasional throwing of a rotary phone he seems to have a decent grasp on wtf hes doin

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey