Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Question Replacement Catalytic Converter

Anybody know where I can get a decently priced OEM cat for a 1997 Z28? Its the passenger side only. I have checked out rockauto so far. Not looking for a 'high flow' or universal.

Also I know the old cat is worth scrap $$$, where is a good place that will take it? sellyoucatdirect.com?

Thanks in advance
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

A member here buys stock cats for 40 each or something like that.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Devillock

one like this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WL...RO&prefilter=1
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

just take the cat to a scrap yard.

rock auto appears to have stock replacement walkers, plus there are rebates and our discount code in the sponsor section. not sure you'll beat that for stock replacement bolt on.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

WALKER Part # 53438 LH $194.79
WALKER Part # 50540 RH $334.89

$30 rebate: http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/promo.html#walker

RockAuto Discount Code - Valid through 6/3/2011
5% Discount Code: C204C5E76BF5

Damn, RH is a lot pricier. Your other option is go to a muffler shop and have them weld in a universal fit.

Be ready, when one goes the other is not far behind. you might consider doing both.

Walker catalog shows WALKER Part # 93238 is the universal fit you'd need welded in. (rockauto $99.79) so that is your guide, maybe $125-150 a side installed at the local exhaust place.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
just take the cat to a scrap yard.

rock auto appears to have stock replacement walkers, plus there are rebates and our discount code in the sponsor section. not sure you'll beat that for stock replacement bolt on.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

WALKER Part # 53438 LH $194.79
WALKER Part # 50540 RH $334.89

$30 rebate: http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/promo.html#walker

RockAuto Discount Code - Valid through 6/3/2011
5% Discount Code: C204C5E76BF5

Damn, RH is a lot pricier. Your other option is go to a muffler shop and have them weld in a universal fit.

Be ready, when one goes the other is not far behind. you might consider doing both.

Walker catalog shows WALKER Part # 93238 is the universal fit you'd need welded in. (rockauto $99.79) so that is your guide, maybe $125-150 a side installed at the local exhaust place.
Hmm I like that idea... Where did you find that part #? Id rather just have the cat welded in if I can since the rest of the stock Y is in good shape. My main concern would be having this thing welded in and still setting off the SES light...

Thanks for the info, big help
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Walker catalog. Any muffler shop should be able to get you straight. Might even be $100 per side installed.

as far as the light goes, shops will likely not guarantee the replacement will turn off the light unless they do the diagnosis.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

You may also want to look into the aftermarket replacement catted y-pipes which might price out close to replacing both and having them welded but would also give you a slightly larger pipe for better flow.

Here is the Stainless Works catted y-pipe.
95-97 Catted y-pipe

-

Last edited by JL8Jeff; 05-23-2011 at 09:32 PM.
JL8Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Post on the local boards and look for someone that switched to headers and still has their stock Y-pipe/cats they'll sell cheap.

I don't think there is an actually universail that will work because those cats are very oddly shaped.

http://www.97transam.com/headers/Picture%20008.jpg

For the price of those replacements, for $100 more you could go with shotie headers. I think the entire MAC shorties + Y-pipe with cats is about $700 and Edelbrock may be a bot lower.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

If one cat is bad, strong possibility the other is on its way out. Food for thought....
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Question, will any lt1 aftermarket y-pipe meant for shorty headers work as a replacement? I was thinking of getting a shorty ORY and adding whatever size cats that will work ... as for the computer I would just have the rear O2s tuned out for inspection purposes.

thoughts? places where I could get a fairly cheap y?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post
Question, will any lt1 aftermarket y-pipe meant for shorty headers work as a replacement? I was thinking of getting a shorty ORY and adding whatever size cats that will work ... as for the computer I would just have the rear O2s tuned out for inspection purposes.

thoughts? places where I could get a fairly cheap y?
Doubt an aftermarket for shorties will work. There are aftermarket Y-pipe but they cost over $500 and add 15 HP, for $200 more you could get a completed Shortie header Y-pipe kit such as MAC, SLP or Edelbrock and get better results. I installed a few sets of Macs and think they are one of the best.

Post something in the sponsor's section and see who they deal with.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 06-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech