Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 10-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
nj96z28

Scratches everywhere

Due to carelessness of people who use the garage my z28 lives in, my car has aquired a wealth of scratches on it ... i tried touch up paint but it looks like crap....anyone in north area got a body shop? or anyone in north know of a place that will fix me up for a decent price?
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Soon to come... New paint , and glass .
nj96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
NightRydaSS

I'm in the same boat. It is my front end however that i can't stand. I have major road rash from the millions of little grains of dirt that have hit it on the highways over the yrs. I have tried every kind of wax, polish, ect. Touch up paint makes it look like a 12 yr old with pimples, and, you can't touch up a whole car.

My best bet is a new paint job.

Eff Dr. Phil; my M6 SS is the only Therapist I need!

Light travels faster then sound; that is why some people appear to be smart until they speak - Unknown
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Icemansghost

when getting it repainted...Use protectorfinish clear gloss over the base coat also called chromabase dupont!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear by this!!!!!!!! also they make a clear acrylic bra for the front.. They work really good after a new paint to help the front nose from chips! Put like 4-5 coats of clear toooo!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
nj96z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buoniconti81 View Post
when getting it repainted...Use protectorfinish clear gloss over the base coat also called chromabase dupont!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear by this!!!!!!!! also they make a clear acrylic bra for the front.. They work really good after a new paint to help the front nose from chips! Put like 4-5 coats of clear toooo!
repainted ? lol i was gonna have em buff the scratches out ... i cant afford a paintjob let alone getting my suspension stuff installed....
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Old 11-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
nj96z28

compound/wax

ok so i need a recomendation for compound/wax mix and methods so i can get theese surface scratches out of em paint then i can clay bar this ***** and get her looking pretty

Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

how deep are the scratches.....what color is it. are you talking just clearcoat, into the paint, or down to metal? you cant fix anything down to metal. if you do it correctly, then touch up paint will look factory. correctly meaning paint prep, wet sand the area, paint, wet sand again, clear coat, etc. im nowhere near an expert, but let me know what kind of paint/damage youre talking about, and we'll see which direction you can go.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
nj96z28

most of em are surface scratches, some are fairly deep... im not really sure. dont know much about paint ....... Also i just pulled the side molding off, and i regret doing it there is a visible line where the molding was and on the drivers side quarter panel.. its almost like gm forgot to paint there!sigh, really looks ****** now. im pissed

Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj96z28 View Post
Also i just pulled the side molding off, and i regret doing it there is a visible line where the molding was and on the drivers side quarter panel.. its almost like gm forgot to paint there!sigh, really looks ****** now. im pissed
Do you mean there is actually no paint under the molding?

Sounds like it was resprayed in the past with the molding on, after being prepped with the molding off.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
nj96z28

there is but its very faint almost like the 2nd or 3rd coat wasnt put on ... its just in that one spot. also no finish to it (i guess u could say). i dont know what im more annoyed about... that i took it off and it looks like **** or that i may have to get the car repainted because i couldnt leave the damn molding on.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

if most of your scratches are in the clearcoat/paint, then its fixable without painting. going to a guy/shop is easiest, but might be expensive. if you want to try it yourself, then youll need a good orbital polisher, like a porter-cable. personally, i always use meguiars products, so ill use them as an example. hit up either a website or a good parts store, and look for meg. professional line. theyre in the tan bottles, with numbers on them. not the everyday 'gold class' variety. if your finish is REALLY bad, then look for a heavy abbrasive, like a diamond cut. work it, according to the directions, with the porter cable. one or two applications may be needed. you might have to then step down to a less abbrasive polish....they come in different strengths, writen right on the bottle. you could finish off with the meg. swirl remover, its like a step 2 abbrasive. then id use the glaze by hand, finish off with pure carnuba wax #6, by hand. that should take care of most of your damage, and finish off with a brilliant shine and protective coat.

doing it yourself, especially with this much damage, is VERY labor intensive and time consuming. its a worthy investment/learning exp. if you want to keep it up yourself. if not, then look up a local detailer, and have him do all the work for you. he might be able to blend in the line from the moulding. itd be at least $100-150, im guessing.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

added note.......the line could be because your paint is so faded, whats under the moulding is fresh, new color paint. or, from being glued onto the car for the past 11yrs, the adhesive may have pulled a layer or two of paint off. and also, it could have been painted improperly sometime in the past.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
nj96z28

as far as a repaint, i have the carfax report .. the only wreck the cars ever been in was a rear bumper tap... can see the spider web . I know the 2 previous owners personally and the car has never been repainted, etc... it was bone stock except for wheels and catback when i got it.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
DOSWS62002

Scratches

I work at a bodyshop in Belmar painting the cars there. I also have been doing a kind of detail side business kind of thing of my own on the weekends. I started that finally in the beginning of this summer, if you want I could fix it up for you.
DOSWS62002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
nj96z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSWS62002 View Post
I work at a bodyshop in Belmar painting the cars there. I also have been doing a kind of detail side business kind of thing of my own on the weekends. I started that finally in the beginning of this summer, if you want I could fix it up for you.
send me a pm

Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
JohnG

here is an excerpt from a product comparison test :

11 different brands of plastic scratch removers were tested, on various surfaces. Products were rated by speed, finish, ease of use, effectiveness in removing scratches, and overall value.

Surprisingly, though "Meguiar's Swirl Remover" product left a beautiful shine on the surface, it couldn't remove even the lightest scratch. "3M Finesse-It II Polish", however, required more elbow grease than most, but did an admirable job of removing even fairly heavy scratches. The price difference was only about $1, but how do you put a price on the pleasure of getting a scratch out of your vehicle's bodywork, or on the frustration of having to live with it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #16
NightRydaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
here is an excerpt from a product comparison test :

11 different brands of plastic scratch removers were tested, on various surfaces. Products were rated by speed, finish, ease of use, effectiveness in removing scratches, and overall value.

Surprisingly, though "Meguiar's Swirl Remover" product left a beautiful shine on the surface, it couldn't remove even the lightest scratch. "3M Finesse-It II Polish", however, required more elbow grease than most, but did an admirable job of removing even fairly heavy scratches. The price difference was only about $1, but how do you put a price on the pleasure of getting a scratch out of your vehicle's bodywork, or on the frustration of having to live with it.
what about using a rubing compound (like one you would use to buff out 1500 grit sand paper after a wetsand)?

Eff Dr. Phil; my M6 SS is the only Therapist I need!

Light travels faster then sound; that is why some people appear to be smart until they speak - Unknown
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

can you post up where you found that article. when i used the swirl remover, it only took out the lightest of clearcoat scratches. it does make it shine brilliantly though. ive used their scratch-X to no avail also. id like to do something a little more aggressive, but nothing that can damage.

also, meg. makes many other compounds/polishes. maybe something more aggresive in their line would work better. diamond cut is the roughest they have, i think.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
Kat
11 Second Club

If they are straches then it will need to be buffed out with a wool pad and some 3m finess fine cut, then off to the swirl remover, some hand glaze to a nice shine to the paint and then wax/zaino.

I've done that to a QUITE a few cars over years and they always turned out excellent.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #19
97Formula

Thumbs up Scratch-Out by Kit

Scratch-Out by Kit. Easy to use and very effective in removing scratches. Only a few bucks at Walmart. Give it a shot.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #20
EVIL90SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buoniconti81 View Post
chromabase dupont is just thier basecoat aint nothin special, and 4-5 coats of clear is no good the more material on the surface the more it will chip or peel.

EVIL90SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #21
Icemansghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVIL90SS View Post
chromabase dupont is just thier basecoat aint nothin special, and 4-5 coats of clear is no good the more material on the surface the more it will chip or peel.
I'm sorry ......Its called chromaclear....

get winter activator for the clear,and a reducer for the chromabase. it should run you 400-500 for paint/ clear and material to repaint the entire car. dont forget laquor thinner and a can of gun cleaner...and sand paper from 180 all the way to 2000 grit. and nice cutting wheel too when its all done,and the 3m cutting wheel glaze. oh and a long board, and a book on how to paint. try the fender with 50 percent overlap, and 8-12 inches from the surface. Not to mention a 6 inch fan spray comming out of the gun....

4-5 coats of clear is also good before you cut...You will cut down at least 2 coats

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance