Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
NastyEllEssWon

LCA Questions

I'm ordering a set of LCA's from either spohn or umi. i trust either brand so thats not the question. my question is....

What would be best for my application.

Right now i have a 9'' rear with relocated lca's for now. i wanted to pick up some tubular lca's and have noticed two styles...Spherical Rod/Poly Floor Board Mounts....or Double Spherical Rod Ends. The way im understanding by looking at them would be that the spherical/poly mount would be for more of a streetable car and the double sphere ends might be a little too harsh for the street. either way im getting the adjustable lca's but just wanna hear some opinions on the differences in the ends.

discuss/elaborate???
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
DevilDougWS6
11 Second Club

best for driveability would be poly/poly, installed properly they wont squeek or make any noise. for best performance get the spherical rod end on both ends, they tend to make noise and be a little more harsh.

for the middle of the road, you can get the poly/rod end combo. adjustable is good to get if you are hardcore racing.

J E R S E Y S H O R E O W N S Y O U
12 Sonic Turbo
07 Malibu SS
04 Silverado SS - Sold
00 Trans Am WS6 - Sold

-.:: United States Marine Corps ::.-
DevilDougWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

pm paul, hardcorez28, he is a spohn dealer. i would suggest poly/spherical if you are that concerned. otherwise spherical all the way! chromoly too!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
MonmouthCtyAntz

Love my hotchkis here....

AI HCR 241's , Lunati 223/236 .615/.626 114+2 , Full Exhaust , Ported Fast 92 , Ported LS2 TB , Veraram , 85mm MAF , Circle D 4000 , 3.42's , GTP 36# , CSP Dyno tune. More on the way
420 HP/367 TQ on a Unlocked Converter & still climbing.
MonmouthCtyAntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

also, get adjustable. especially with relocation brackets. those are welded right?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
MonmouthCtyAntz

Bolt here

AI HCR 241's , Lunati 223/236 .615/.626 114+2 , Full Exhaust , Ported Fast 92 , Ported LS2 TB , Veraram , 85mm MAF , Circle D 4000 , 3.42's , GTP 36# , CSP Dyno tune. More on the way
420 HP/367 TQ on a Unlocked Converter & still climbing.
MonmouthCtyAntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

thread locker?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
NastyEllEssWon

yeah i think i can deal with a little bit of road noise and grab the double sphericals. 40 bucks extra for chromoly isnt bad. hell i paid 50 for my adjustable panhard...i guess i can swing it.

anyone else with some testimony?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

I wish WS6ZXR was still up. Kelly Drown had info on just about every type of control arm up there that he ran autocrossing. I think the poly/poly setup was worse than stock because of binding.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Jensend

For maximum adjustability and versatility on and off track the totally spherical LCAs are probably your best bet. Chrome moly for safety and longevity. However, don't underestimate the amount of noise that they will both generate and transmit to the car's interior. They are loud and telegraph every expansion joint and bump you hit. I've had my Spohn units for 5 years and they work well for HPDE or autox. They are, however noisy enough that I have to warn people who ride in the car that the noise is natural, not a mechanical issue. If you value comfort and quiet more than performance, spherical LCAs are not for you.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

No testimony, just a few thoughts. I’m not familiar with these particular parts and I’m not looking them up, so I am speaking in general terms.

I don’t see how spherical bushings would ride worse than poly bushings. In fact based on their improved range of motion compared to the inherent bind issues with polyurethane bushings, I might think that spherical bearings might ride unnoticeably better. Plus it isn’t like polyurethane bushings isolate vibration any better than solid bushings, you are fooling yourself to think otherwise. Spherical bushings may wear out much faster unless they are sealed. Road debris might eat them up fast. If they are not sealed and it is a street car I’d think three times about spending money on spherical bushings.

I like adjustable stuff, but that can be a double edged sword – they need to be properly adjusted. In the wrong hands adjustability is a curse.

I don’t know if the chromoly is required. Do the ‘regular’ ones fail?

Also, IMO, given the application, ride quality should not be a concern. If it is, put the stock stuff back in and spend the money on stickers & audio.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
No testimony, just a few thoughts. I’m not familiar with these particular parts and I’m not looking them up, so I am speaking in general terms.

I don’t see how spherical bushings would ride worse than poly bushings. In fact based on their improved range of motion compared to the inherent bind issues with polyurethane bushings, I might think that spherical bearings might ride unnoticeably better. Plus it isn’t like polyurethane bushings isolate vibration any better than solid bushings, you are fooling yourself to think otherwise. Spherical bushings may wear out much faster unless they are sealed. Road debris might eat them up fast. If they are not sealed and it is a street car I’d think three times about spending money on spherical bushings.

I like adjustable stuff, but that can be a double edged sword – they need to be properly adjusted. In the wrong hands adjustability is a curse.

Also, IMO, given the application, ride quality should not be a concern. If it is, put the stock stuff back in and spend the money on stickers & audio.

ride quality is not a concern. im just covering all my bases before i spend the money.

im just open to hear different voices about whats going on. some good stuff so far. anyone else?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post

i believe the poly absorbs the road noise to a much greater extent than the spherical rod ends. its basically metal to metal with a spherical rod end. maybe compare it to solid motor mounts vs poly vs stock rubber. it isn't that extreme but comparable. my poly's are rather noisey when its cold out though, not terrible just more prevalent.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

It is really about personal opinion.

Having poly at both ends will provide the best ride quality going down the road.
Having the bushing on the body side and spherical on the rear will give the solid suspension response but still ride good
Spherical at both ends has the best articulation and the most direct suspension response you can get but tends to be noisy and a bit bangy while driving.

Peronally, I have no problems living with spherical bearings at both ends. Drove my 91 RS around like that for years and as soon as I have money to upgrade the suspension on my 99 I will be doing the same again. The spherical ends do require a little more attentive maintenance to keep clean and lubed

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
BigAls87Z28

Im surprised no one has done anything regarding delrin bushings.

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 03-25-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Delran is a town in NJ....
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

I remember seeing poly spherical rod ends when I was in the market for LCAs. They were advertised as the benefits of metal spherical ends with the noise reduction of polyurethane.

Delrin is a nice material for some bushings, but it is brittle and does not do well with oil. It would not hold up the stress and grime a car would put it through. Polyurethane may be slightly less efficient, but it is durable and chemical resistant.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
DevilDougWS6
11 Second Club

poly end will NOT bind if installed properly. people tend to torque the bolts down before putting a load on the rear and that cause them to bind. i have polys on mine and zero problems whatsoever.

J E R S E Y S H O R E O W N S Y O U
12 Sonic Turbo
07 Malibu SS
04 Silverado SS - Sold
00 Trans Am WS6 - Sold

-.:: United States Marine Corps ::.-
DevilDougWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #18
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6 View Post
poly end will NOT bind if installed properly. people tend to torque the bolts down before putting a load on the rear and that cause them to bind. i have polys on mine and zero problems whatsoever.
So your suspension never creaks?

Alternatively, if you have servicable poly ends (with zerk fittings) then it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 03-26-2009 at 01:47 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i have grease fittings on my poly ends. they are pretty good but will squeak when very cold.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

I also have the poly with grease fittings and I have not had a problem. grease them up about every 5k miles and they should last without making noise
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #21
Frosty

I had poly bushings on a lot of my fbodies and if installed correctly and greased correctly I never heard a peep out of them.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 03-26-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #22
camaroAL
10 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I had poly bushings on a lot of my fbodies and if installed correctly and greased correctly I never heard a peep out of them.
same here!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #23
Batman
11 Second Club

I agree with everything above, especially how noisy double rod ends are. If you can take the noise then i guess they are the way to go but I had them for 2 weeks and wanted to throw them in the garbage. I'm running poly/poly now and am cutting 1.4 60Ft times at the track with no issues, so for all but the most hardcore racer poly should be more then enough for you.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #24
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I agree with everything above, especially how noisy double rod ends are. If you can take the noise then i guess they are the way to go but I had them for 2 weeks and wanted to throw them in the garbage. I'm running poly/poly now and am cutting 1.4 60Ft times at the track with no issues, so for all but the most hardcore racer poly should be more then enough for you.

your car must be auto?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #25
Batman
11 Second Club

It is now, used to be an M6 but I got tired of replacing clutches and transmissions, still cut 1.6's on the M6 though
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech